Go Back   Planet MADtv > Our Database > MADtv Repository > MADtv Cast Members
Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/15/2005, 1:40 AM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

She's told me she's not going to be in any of the episodes this month, which hopefully means Spencer will be appearing. Crista doesn't know for sure when Spencer will debut, but said "soon, hopefully". From the email she sent me, she said she knows she'll be appearing in at least one more episode, in May, when the last remaining sketch that she wrote/pitched will air.

Old 05/02/2005, 2:19 PM
Office Space.

Question ?????

Why is everybody crazy about Crista Flanigan? Shes not really that funny. I don't even see her on the show alot.

:heart: Sexiest Cast Member: Jill-Michele Meleăn. :heart:

I got a new picture in my profile! Check it out!

This message is literally copyrighted. Literally! ©

Last edited by madtv4ever; 05/02/2005 at 2:58 PM.
Old 05/02/2005, 2:46 PM
don't eat another nut...
Staff Alumnus

Default Re: ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by madtv4ever
Why is everybody crazy about Christina Flanigan? Shes not really that funny. I don't even see her on the show alot.
I know! Everybody is like "OMG Christina Flanagan! I U!! OMG"

Like who is Christina Flanagan anyways?

IMO, Crista Flanagan is alot funnier

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" ~ Raven

I Swear To God I'm Not Insane!

"The world needs humour like it needs love" ~ Debra Wilson

P.F.F ~ Puddin' Fans Forever!
Old 05/02/2005, 2:48 PM
0ld sk00l

Default Re: Re: ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by ef_7

I know! Everybody is like "OMG Christina Flanagan! I U!! OMG"

Like who is Christina Flanagan anyways?

IMO, Crista Flanagan is alot funnier
LMFAO!

I think Crista Flanagan is funner also..Christina Flanagan is a skank.

My Fanfics
Old 05/02/2005, 3:28 PM
Right-wing rocker

Quote:
Why is everybody crazy about Crista Flanigan? Shes not really that funny. I don't even see her on the show alot.
It's just personal preference. I personally find her really funny. I mean, did you see that monologue she did? That was some of the best stuff I've seen on Mad TV in a LONG time.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 05/02/2005, 4:18 PM
.::Shame on you::.

Quote:
ditto on that....i really dont find her that funny either

"It's not about molding yourself into the person you admire, but rather following their lead in finding and embracing your own unique voice."
~Stephnie Weir
View Post Old 05/02/2005, 5:28 PM
MoForPresident
This message is hidden because MoForPresident was banned from the site.
Old 05/02/2005, 11:53 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Crista's interview from www.actingnow.com:

Crista Flanagan is funny. That's one of the first things you need to know about her. Another thing that you need to know about this Mt. Vernon, Illinois native is that she's a young actor who's just starting to break through. Over the past few years, Ms. Flanagan has steadily been booking stand up gigs, shining in showcases, and slowly, but surely, finding her way onto television, in small roles and appearances. This year, the actor used her skills to storm onto Fox's decade-old sketch comedy show MADtv, as a regularly featured performer and writer.
As Ms. Flanagan (who is petite, with a slight twang to her voice) prepares to step into the national spotlight, we thought it might be a good idea to hear her views on the business – from a comic angle. In this short Q & A, Actingnow.com talks with Ms. Flanagan about surviving as a female comic in L.A., what it's like to work on MADtv, and why being funny is a serious, and focused, business.

What's a week at MADtv like? Talk to me about how you go from no show at the beginning of the week to a brand new collection of skits the following Saturday night.
A week at MADtv covers three episodes. I’ll call them episodes #1, #2, and #3. Clever, eh? Each week, we shoot one episode, and an episode contains 8-10 sketches. On Monday, we come in and rehearse Episode 1’s sketches. This is mostly for re-writes, brainstorming, memorizing, etc. On Tuesday, we have a table-read for Episode #2. The table-read consists of about 18-22 sketches. From this table-read, it will be decided what actually goes into production for Episode 2…so the material had better be funny! On Wednesday and Thursday, we rehearse Episode #1. Also, on Wednesday and Thursday, the cast makes their pitches for Episode #3. That means, if you have an idea, a character, or a sketch that you want to read the following Tuesday, you need to talk with the writers and producers about getting it read.

You actually wrote several sketches that appeared on the show this season. Talk to me about that process. How did you get your writing onto national television?
I "pitched" my material to the writers and producers, and they decided that it would be read at a table read. Once my material was read, it was chosen to be produced. Some of your material gets chosen, some of it doesn't...it just depends on what they need for a given episode. I was incredibly fortunate to have my material chosen, and I'm very grateful.

What about the actual shooting of an episode?
In terms of shooting, the episodes alternate between “lives” and “pre-tapes.” “Lives” are live audience shows, holding 250-300 people, mostly fans of MADtv. “Pre-tapes” are sketches that are not taped before a live audience, but are later played in front of the audience. The pre-tapes offer a wider range of flexibility because they allow for more complex editing and shooting capabilities. For example, a lot of our commercials, music videos, and parodies are pre-taped.
If it is a “live” week, then we shoot the episode on Friday night. The shooting lasts anywhere from 5-7 hours. If it's a “pre-tape” week, we shoot the episode all day Thursday and Friday.

How did you get picked as a featured player on the show? Talk me through the process from how they found you to how they informed you that you were coming on board.
In 2003, I did a festival of one-person shows in Los Angeles, called 15 Minutes of Fem. It was there that MADtv's casting director, Nicole Garcia, first saw me. She then called me in for a “pre-read.” A “pre-read”, in this case, is bringing in 3-5 original characters. It didn’t go any further at that time. A year later I was called again. After those meetings, I auditioned 2 more times, and then I tested. Each audition was different. It was a mix of original monologues, original sketches, and MADtv sketches. One audition would last 20-35 minutes. It was a long, sweaty process, but the producers and writers made it a blast.

You've done stand-up comedy in L.A. What's that scene like?
Stand-up in L.A. is a joy. There is a great deal of variety among performers, clubs, and audiences. If you want to do stand-up, it’s possible to find somewhere to do it. In some clubs, you have to bring in a certain number of audience members before you can perform, which can be challenging on a Tuesday or Sunday night. The stand-up scene can be exhausting, but it’s well worth working yourself into the community. The comics, producers, and audiences all love to laugh, and what can be better than that?

How did you find your way into doing stand up or solo comedy performances? Did your graduate training prep you for it? If not, how'd you find your skills in that arena?
A great friend (and comic) I met in graduate school was working the L.A. stand-up scene. She encouraged me and helped me get started. I went to her show a few times and decided to give it a shot. Thankfully, I was well-received. I kept at it, booked more clubs and met more people. Before I knew it, I was part of the scene. One thing always leads to another and I never how that’s going to work. I do a club in the basement of a hotel, then someone there invites me to do another club on the 1st floor, and so on. In terms of my training (at the University of California, Irvine – ed), it’s hard to assess its impact. We didn’t train in improv, but we clowned a bit, and I think that all of the skills we worked on there contribute to who I am as an artist, and a person. I think some of what was already in me was drawn out in graduate school.

What's the atmosphere out there for female comedians? Is there a lot of support or resistance? Is there enough attention?
I think that the support for female comedians is not as great as it is for male comedians. However, in L.A. there are a great many dedicated female shows popping up all over. I found the path of least resistance; that is, I found myself sticking to clubs where people laughed. When I felt a negative or nasty atmosphere, I would stay away. Luckily, I was welcomed in enough places that I didn’t worry about it too much. I often wish that comedians – female and male – had a more supportive community. It’s always a challenge for comedians to decide when the atmosphere is unsupportive because it's a lousy place and when it's unsupportive because the material isn’t working. The best thing I can do is to walk away from each performance asking myself: what worked? What didn’t? Why? If can blame the audience, great, but that’s not as fruitful as working to improve the material.

You recently did a spot on the upcoming fifth season premiere of Larry David's brilliant show Curb Your Enthusiasm. What was your role and how was the experience?
I play a very small role, Mrs. Seiderman’s Nurse, but I hear that she is vital to the trajectory of the episode, the season, and the future of HBO: How’s that for important!?!
The experience was wonderful. Curb is a group of friends working on a show that they really believe in and have fun doing. There was a general feeling of calm and certainty with the work. I was there for one day, so that’s about all I can say about that. Oh…the food was the best I’ve ever had while on set.

How involved is Larry David in shaping the material? Did you get to improvise your role or was he there guiding you?
Larry David and Robert Weide, the director, were very involved in the scenes. They told us what they wanted and they guided us as we went on and off the path. Both were charismatic and extremely competent. As I said, it was a small role, but they let me play and we had a great time. We laughed at each other. It was a blast.

What are some of the biggest lessons you've learned about being an actor in Los Angeles?
Be supportive and giving with others. Be on time. Be liked. Be prepared and off-book. Fulfill the requirements of the role, but be better than anyone has imagined it before. Learn, and remember, people’s names. Ask questions. Do non-actor artistic activities. As you sit in traffic, try not to panic about being late. Mapquest isn’t as precise as a Thomas Guide. When your phone isn’t ringing, make it ring – not by voodoo, unless that’s your thing, but by creating your own shows, and immersing yourself in some kind of theatre, film, or television community.

Talk to me about getting your foot in the door. What are some things you did that helped you get attention from people in the industry (agents, casting directors, producers, etc.)?
I had a showcase right out of graduate school and chose good agents and managers. I also created and produced my own sketch show, But Wait…I Have Impressions. I love to create and write, as well as act. As I said, constant involvement in some aspect of the art (and the business) helps a great deal. There is nothing that will happen that you don’t, in some way, create. That is to say, get out of the house.

What's the difference between playing comedy and drama, for you?
Very little. Context.

Who are some comic actors (male, female) that you admire? And why?
Sacha Cohen, Mackenzie Crook, Ricky Gervais, Imogene Coca, Sandy Dennis, Will Ferrell, Catherine O’Hara.

What's your advice for a female actor coming to L.A., hoping to break into the scene as a comic actor?
Get booked, see comics, hang out after the show. Say hi to comics you liked. Say hi to comics you didn’t like. Create new material. Get a manager and an agent. If you haven’t gone on the stage in a while, and you can afford it, take a class. You will hone your skills, and you will meet some people who are supportive, hard-working, and hilarious.

Find out more about Crista at www.cristaflanagan.com

Old 05/04/2005, 3:27 PM
Office Space.

Default Exacly!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steph Weir Fan

Exacly. She has been on like five episodes. She is just some bakground featuring cast member. Spencer Kayden is okay. I liked that one sketch she did with Keegan-Michael Key where he falls aspleep and shes just talking to her self. That was funny.

Old 05/04/2005, 8:43 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

uhh... she's already introduced 3 of her OWN characters to the show: Peggy the Rollerskating Champion, Luann the Stand up commedienne and Party Girl, as well as having a big part in Bobby Lee's Tank sketch and the 1950's Bell commercial. Spencer is the one who has only been in 2 sketches, and of those two sketches only one was a significant role.

Old 05/05/2005, 1:07 PM

Default Re: Exacly!

Quote:

Exacly. She has been on like five episodes. She is just some bakground featuring cast member. Spencer Kayden is okay. I liked that one sketch she did with Keegan-Michael Key where he falls aspleep and shes just talking to her self. That was funny.

yea...i think spencer is better than her. I kinda seems that crista is tryin a little to hard to get a lot of laughs IMO. It gets annoyin sometimes...its not like im sayin crista isnt funny at all i just dont think she is as good as spencer

"It's not about molding yourself into the person you admire, but rather following their lead in finding and embracing your own unique voice."
~Stephnie Weir
Old 05/05/2005, 2:52 PM
Office Space.

Thumbs Down Dannah Feinglass

Quote:

yea...i think spencer is better than her. I kinda seems that crista is tryin a little to hard to get a lot of laughs IMO. It gets annoyin sometimes...its not like im sayin crista isnt funny at all i just dont think she is as good as spencer
I know! I think Crista Flanagan is like Dannah Feinglass. They're both not funny, don't do much and everybody loves them. I admit Spencer Kayden hasen't been on the show alot either but at least shes funny and not trying so hard like Steph Weir Fan said.

Old 06/25/2005, 9:45 PM
Fresh Meat

Default I grew up with Crista

I just thought some of you fans might like to hear from someone who actually knew her. I'm also from Mt. Vernon, Illinois, which is classified as a small city. We hung out with some of the same people. She was always cool, & she was nice to everyone. The last time I saw her was a couple of years ago at a local restaurant/bar. I believe it was around Thanksgiving, possibly Christmas, so I'm sure she was home visiting. She was on the dance floor, dancing really goofy with another Mt. Vernonite who had been involved with theater. She has always been a truly good person, & she's always been hilarious. It's good to see someone achieve their dreams who actually deserves it. She graduated in 1994, which I know you can find out on her website. I was a '95 graduate, but we still knew each other a little bit, & we had a lot of mutual friends. Anyway, I just thought I'd give you a firsthand account. She doesn't look much different than she did in grade school & junior high, & it seems like her personality & her sense-of-humor have only grown & matured. Congratulations to Crista for making her hometown proud! Knock 'em dead!
Old 07/02/2005, 9:42 AM
Fresh Meat

Greetings all. I was lucky enough to know Crista when she was growing up. When Liliom saw her a few years ago, it was probably in '98, just before Crista headed out to CA.. She was very optimistic. She was already writing then.

I even had the pleasure of helping her learn how to skate backwards, sideways and even in circles. We even jitterbugged!!!!

LA and MADtv are lucky to have gotten a perfect example of some of So. Illinois best.

Hey Liliom!!! Funny seeing you here!!!

And if you happen to read this Crista, I wish you all the best.

Old 07/26/2005, 11:09 PM
Boo Radley

Default she's a keeper

Granted, Crista was only in a handful of episodes last season, but from what I've seen, she's solid. That "Louann Lockhart" standup routine was a riot, and the sketches she's done (Starlight Express Rollerskater Tryout, 9/11 Wedding Couple <which she also co-wrote > Party of One) were all strong, in my opinion. She also has an infectious , high-energy personality. She's a very appealing performer.

Old 07/26/2005, 11:18 PM
Darth Tater
Staff Alumnus

Hey Hikokimorian, welcome to the forum.

I definitely agree about Crista, there is something very infectious about her. What impresses me the most about her is the fact that she burst onto the screen, so to speak. I don't like how so many of the recent castmembers have taken a season or so to really make a name for themselves. Granted, some of them I really like (Jordan, Paul, Nicole etc.) but I much prefer a strong performer to prove that straight away, which Crista has done. I don't know if that's because the producers threw her in at the deep end, or she really put her own sketches forward, but whatever, I think she's definitely a keeper.

Old 07/27/2005, 3:54 PM
Hardcore Fan

Default Re: Re: ?????

Quote:

I think that Crista is probably the best person coming back next season.
Old 07/28/2005, 12:48 AM
Right-wing rocker

Default Re: she's a keeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Hikikomorian
Granted, Crista was only in a handful of episodes last season, but from what I've seen, she's solid. That "Louann Lockhart" standup routine was a riot, and the sketches she's done (Starlight Express Rollerskater Tryout, 9/11 Wedding Couple <which she also co-wrote > Party of One) were all strong, in my opinion. She also has an infectious , high-energy personality. She's a very appealing performer.
I'd definitely agree. She's impressed me very much so far. She seems so likeable too.

Chris - Hey mama! ; )
Old 08/02/2005, 12:31 AM
Boo Radley

Default woman of a thousand faces

Thanks for the welcome, Dartanian. And Bryansgirl and Debrafan, I couldn't agree with you more. I expect great work from Crista next season. One of the things that amazes me the most about her is that wonderfully expressive face. She seems to switch effortlessly and seamlessly from pure joy to utter despair, and it's a pleasure to watch her work.

Old 08/02/2005, 5:36 AM

Default Re: Re: Re: ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Debrafan

I think that Crista is probably the best person coming back next season.
My mind changed about her. I did think that she was annoying and not funny at all. I now think that she is funny at times and that she has a lot of potential. But I actually think that Nicole will be the best person coming back next year ( my opinion ).

Oh and...
Hi Hikikomorian!!!

~Stephnie Weir